Help with money
Advice and support are available if you're struggling to make ends meet.
- Citizens Advice - a charity that offers free impartial and confidential advice about a wide range of problems including debt and money, work, consumer rights, legal rights and immigration.
- LivingWell Community Champions - can support you with housing, debt and benefits, support you to apply for the Household Support fund where you may be entitled to access fule vouchers, supermarket vouchers and white goods.
More ways of getting advice and help with money
You can get advice and help with money from the following organisations.
- Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH) Money Advice - money advice for RBH tenants
- Business Debtline - help with debt problems for the self-employed and small business
- Cost of Living Toolkit - this toolkit will help you work out your first priority, what options there are, and who to speak to first
- Debt Advice Foundation - free confidential advice on any aspect of debt
- Financial Community Champions - advice on managing your money
- Money Helper - help instant help with managing your money
- National Debtline - free and confidential debt advice
- PayPlan - free support with debt management plans and Individual Voluntary Arrangements
- Step Change Debt Charity - free debt advice
- Turn2Us - access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help
Ways to save money
Here are some schemes and information which may help you save money.
- Things to see and do on a budget - low-cost and no-cost things to do.
- Your Card - a card scheme to help save money on a wide range of sports and leisure activities at Your Trust centres.
- Reduce your fuel bills - energy-saving improvements can reduce your energy bills, heating costs and make your home more energy-efficient.
- Help with improvements and repairs to your home - find out if you're eligible for help towards the cost of your home.
- Manchester Credit Union - access to affordable credit, savings options and support with payment plans.
- Metro Moneywise Credit Union - access to affordable credit, savings options and support with payment plans.
Emergency financial help
There are several ways to access financial support in an emergency.
- Discretionary Crisis Fund - if the unexpected happens and you suddenly find yourself in difficulties, you may get help through the Discretionary Crisis Fund.
- Discretionary Housing Payments - an emergency payment to help you with your rent or housing costs.
- Don't use loan sharks, they're illegal moneylenders who often charge very high-interest rates. Find out more about spotting or reporting loan sharks.
- Don't get into debt you can't manage. Too much debt can cause problems in the long term so take care when thinking about a loan. Make sure that you can afford to keep up the repayments and that the interest rate is affordable.
- Take the Money Helper debt test - to find out how likely you are to have problems with your borrowing over the next year or so.
- Fair For You - is a registered charity that helps people from lower-income families gain access to affordable credit to purchase goods for the home. You buy directly from the manufacturer and take out a loan from Fair For You, then pay later in weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments.