Pay your Council Tax

Pay your Council Tax online, by phone, at a Post Office or PayPoint

Council Tax instalments, which aren't paid by Direct Debit, are due on or before the 10th of each month. You need to make your payments on time to avoid receiving reminders.

Pay online

You can use your credit or debit card to pay your bill. 

Pay your Council Tax online now

Pay over the phone 

To pay over the phone by credit or debit card phone our automated payments line with your card details and Council Tax reference number to hand.

Lines are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Post Offices and PayPoint payment

This service is free. You can pay at any Post Office or PayPoint outlet. You must always present your bill or document with a barcode on it when making your payment.

It usually takes up to 3 working days for us to receive your payment.

  • If you pay by cheque at the Post Office, make your cheque payable to 'Post Office Ltd'.

Find out how much you owe

How payments are allocated

The software we use to allocate payments has built-in rules to determine where payment is posted if you have debts for different years.

Payments you make will be allocated as follows:

  • An amount equal to an instalment on your current year's bill will be allocated to that instalment.
  • An amount that is equal to multiple instalments on your current bill will be allocated to the current year's balance due. For example, you have £200 arrears for a previous year's charge and the instalments for the current year are £100 per month. If you make a payment of £200 it will be allocated to the current year not the outstanding arrears.
  • The oldest outstanding debt if the payment does not match an instalment.

If your current instalments are up to date but you still have outstanding arrears from a previous year, the above rules will still be applied when any additional payments are made that match future instalment dates.

If you're paying an amount towards arrears for a particular year, you should let us know when making the payment which debt you want the payment allocated to.