Floodwater may contain sewage, animal waste and other contaminants.
While floodwater presents a low risk to health, the biggest health hazard caused by a flood comes from the stress and strain of the event itself.
- Social and psychological support after an emergency
- Cover open cuts and wounds on exposed skin with waterproof plasters.
- You should attend any scheduled medical appointments unless advised otherwise.
- If you feel unwell, go to your doctor's immediately. Tell them your home was flooded.
- If you do have any non-urgent health concerns, you can call 111.
- You should only attend Accident and Emergency if it's a life-threatening emergency.