Cleaning your home after a flood
After all the flood water has subsided, you can:
- Remove all soft furnishing and fittings that are damaged beyond repair.
- Wash all hard surfaces with hot soapy water.
- Food preparation surfaces, such as kitchen worktops, storage cupboards, fridges and freezers should be washed with food-safe disinfectant.
- Allow areas you've cleaned to dry naturally. This will help to destroy any germs left behind.
- Leave the heating on, if possible, and open your windows as it will help with the drying process.
- If you don't feel safe cleaning up alone, you can hire professional cleaners to help.
- Wash clothes, bedding and toys that have been in contact with floodwater at 60 degrees.
- Soft fabrics and furnishings that can't fit or can't go in the washing machine need to be professionally cleaned. If it's not possible, you need to throw the items away.