Gas and electricity
Flooding can create an unsafe environment for your gas and electricity.
- Don't operate equipment that is still in the water or while you're standing in water.
- Make sure all electrical appliances are properly switched off and dry before you turn your electricity back on.
- If your fuse box or any of your plug sockets have been in floodwater, don't switch your electricity back on until it's been checked by an electrician. List of certified electricians
- If your home doesn't have any power, contact Electricity North West
- If your gas meter or any gas appliance has been in floodwater, call British Gas before switching the gas back on or switching on any gas appliances. If you smell gas or suspect gas escape has occurred at any time, call British Gas immediately.
Ring British Gas on 0800 111 999