Support for people at risk of homelessness

To help make sure you get the best possible advice, this page gives advice and information to specific groups of people who might need further support with housing and homelessness.

If you're struggling with housing costs or are at risk of homelessness, there's support available to you:

Report yourself or someone you know who's at risk of homelessness

If you or someone you know is at risk of homelessness within the next 56 days, you can apply to us for help.

We'll work with you to assess and understand your circumstances. We'll create a plan to try and prevent you from becoming homeless.

How to report someone at risk of being homeless

Housing support for young people leaving care

If you're a young person who is leaving care, you can access financial support, information and advice to help you with housing and homelessness.

Housing support for rough sleepers

What is rough sleeping?

Rough sleeping is a type of homelessness that's easy to see. It can be very damaging to a person's physical and mental health.

People who sleep rough often sleep in shop doorways, bus shelters or car parks. People who sleep rough sometimes try to hide by sleeping at different times of the day and in different places.

Some public services might refer you to us if they believe you're at risk of rough sleeping or homelessness. This might be the Job Centre or social services including Adult Care and Early Help. They will always ask for your consent before referring you.

Tell us about a rough sleeper

Our Rough Sleeper Outreach Team conducts regular evening, early morning and overnight sweeps of rough sleeping spots in the borough to make sure nobody is being left behind.

If we receive a report of somebody sleeping rough, the team will reach out to them and help arrange access to services and accommodation. However, we have no powers of removal and will always act within the law.

Each person that we find rough sleeping will be given a homelessness prevention officer to help them find suitable housing options and relieve homelessness.

If you're concerned about somebody possibly sleeping rough, you can:

  1. Report rough sleepers on the Streetlink website. If the rough sleeper is in the borough of Rochdale, they'll alert us. Report rough sleepers on the Streetlink website
  2. Alternatively, you can tell us about rough sleepers directly by using the contact details on this page.
  3. If you believe the person sleeping rough is under the age of 18, please call the police on 999.

Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP)

Rough sleepers are at increased risk during winter or when there's severe weather, such as heavy rain or extreme heat.

We work with partner organisations across the borough to increase services to make sure there's no one sleeping on the street during extreme weather conditions. This response is called the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP).

Our partners promise to be flexible, inclusive and committed to increasing their opening hours at support hubs. We help anybody, regardless of who or where they are, if they:

  • Are at risk if they continue to sleep rough during extreme weather conditions.
  • Have nowhere to sleep indoors or have suitable shelter during extreme weather conditions.
  • Agree to engage with the support offered by the partnership.

Housing support for victims of domestic abuse

Not all domestic abuse involves physical violence or threats. Controlling and coercive behaviour can also leave deep and lasting scars.

If you think you're at risk of harm by staying in your home, then you should contact us as soon as possible. We can help you understand what options are available, how to access a safe place, and how to find a long-term home.

If possible, try not to voluntarily give up your home until you've reached out for support.

Housing support for people being discharged from the hospital

If you're in the hospital and have nowhere to go when you're discharged, you should tell hospital staff as soon as possible.

It's important to have a safe and suitable home when you're leaving the hospital to help with your recovery.

Housing support for people experiencing poor mental health

Sometimes you might need some more support with your mental health.

A lot of people live with friends or family. Having their support can be helpful if you're experiencing poor mental health.

Our website lists groups and organisations offering mental health support to adults, children and parents.