Apply for social housing

Step 1: see if you qualify for social housing

Most people who are British citizens or, have the right to reside in the UK, can join our housing register.

However, if you're subject to immigration control or you're not habitually resident in the UK, the rules are different.

If you're an asylum seeker, you're not able to apply for social housing. All accommodation for asylum seekers is provided by private companies under contract by the Home Office. If you're not happy with your accommodation, view asylum seeker and refugee support.

You can find full details of eligibility for housing in our Housing Allocation Policy.