Report someone at risk of being homeless

Please let us know about anyone who you think will or might become homeless in the next 56 days.

You can report a single person, a couple or a whole household as long as they live in Greater Manchester.

How to report someone at risk of being homeless

Before you report someone at risk of being homeless:

  1. Get consent from the person or people you want to report.
  2. If they don't give their consent, you can't report them to us. However, you may wish to tell them about the local support available to them. Support for people at risk of homelessness
  3. If they give you their consent, you should then ask them which council they want you to refer them to. You can refer them to any council in Greater Manchester.

Report someone to us

To report yourself or someone else at risk of being homeless to us:

  1. In an emergency use the contact details on this page to refer someone at risk of being homeless.
  2. Complete our online form using the link below.
  3. We'll prioritise referrals and aim to contact you within 5 working days.
  4. If you don't hear back within 5 working days, please get in touch using the contact details on this page.

Report someone at risk of homelessness

Report someone to another council in Greater Manchester

Each council in Greater Manchester will offer their own support to the person you refer. You should check that council's website for the services they offer.

Support we can offer people at risk of homelessness

If you refer someone to us, we'll offer support aimed at their individual circumstances and needs. This support could include:

  • Assessing their situation to see what help we can give.
  • Giving advice about how to apply for housing or find accommodation.
  • Completing a full housing assessment, including accessing specialist support.
  • More support for people at risk of homelessness

Who can report someone at risk of homelessness?

We welcome referrals from anyone as long as you get the consent of the person you're trying to help.

If you work for a public authority, you're required by law to ask the person for their consent and refer them to a Greater Manchester council if they give it to you. This is known as a Public Duty to Refer.

Public authorities include:

  • Emergency health services.
  • JobCentre Plus.
  • Probation and community rehabilitation companies.
  • Prison Service.
  • Secure Training Centres.
  • Social services departments, such as adult social care and children's social services.
  • Youth Offending Services.