Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

About giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Giving notice is telling people of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership.

You legally have to give notice in England or Wales to have a civil or religious marriage ceremony or to form a civil partnership.

However, if you plan to marry in a Church of England church, you won't need to give notice as the vicar will normally complete similar documentation, usually called Banns. If the vicar is unable to do this, you'll be advised to give notice at your local register office.