Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Complaint - councillors

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Anyone can make a complaint about a councillor or a co-opted member breaching the Code of Conduct. Complaints can be made to our monitoring officer by completing a complaint form.

Your complaint will be rejected if:

  • It's about the policies or performance of the council or an individual officer, for that you'll need to use our corporate complaints procedure.
  • The councillor was not in office at the time of the alleged breach of the code of conduct.
  • The complaint, if proven, was not a breach of the code of conduct that was in force at the time.

Your complaint must be made in writing using the complaint form and sent by post or email to the monitoring officer.

Make a complaint about a councillor or co-opted member (159kb pdf)

How we'll deal with your complaint

Once we've received your complaint:

  • We'll acknowledge receipt of you complaint within 5 working days of receiving it.
  • The monitoring officer will consult with an independent person and take a decision whether the matter should be rejected, dealt with informally, or investigated further. We may require additional information from you to reach this decision, which normally takes 20 days from receipt of your complaint. 
  • As a matter of fairness and natural justice the councillor is usually told who has complained about them. In exceptional circumstances your identity will be withheld.
  • If the monitoring officer decides to investigate the complaint, an investigating officer will be appointed who will produce a draft report for the you and the councillor to comment on. These comments will be taken on board before the final report is issued to the monitoring officer.
  • The monitoring officer will consider the outcome of the report. The monitoring officer may decide to deal with the complaint informally or refer the complaint for a local hearing before councillors. 

A full explanation of the complaints procedure can be found in Dealing with code of conduct complaints (128kb pdf) ​.


Monitoring Officer
Floor 2, Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU