Report noise problems

To report noise problems:

  1. Complete the form below to let us know what problems you're having. We won't share your details with anybody you report.
  2. If you rent from a housing association, contact them to see if help with the situation. Registered housing associations
  3. We can normally resolve noisy neighbour disputes amicably by being a diplomatic negotiator on your behalf.
  4. If needed, we do have the powers to prosecute individuals and organisations or seize equipment under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 if needed.
  5. See how we'll prioritise reports to see when we aim to contact you.

Report noise nuisance

What you can and cannot report

You can report a one-off incident or continuous problems with any of the following:

  • Animal noises, such as dog barking or cockerels.
  • Loud music, arguments or burglar alarms.
  • DIY renovations. Noise is allowed Monday-Friday 8am-6pm, Saturday 9am-2pm. You can report noise from renovations outside of these hours, including all day Sundays and bank holidays.
  • Construction or demolition sites.
  • Ice cream van music before midday or after 7pm.
  • Noise from pubs, bars, clubs or businesses.
  • Fireworks taking place between 11pm-7am, except on Bonfire Night when noise is allowed up to midnight and New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year when noise is allowed up to 1am.

We do not consider the following as antisocial behaviour:

  • Day to day domestic noise, such as lawnmowers, washing machines and vacuum cleaners
  • Road traffic noise, train noise or aeroplane noise
  • Ball games or children playing in the street
  • One-off parties or celebrations