Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

How to pay a Fixed Penalty Notice enforcement fine

​Streets across the borough are being patrolled by Public Realm Inspectors and Town Centre Enforcement Wardens to ensure they're as clean, safe and tidy as possible.

The team predominantly enforce environmental and antisocial behaviour legislation such as littering, dog fouling and graffiti. They refer any other matters they notice such as highways issues, street furniture issues and any other issues which negatively affects the environment onto the relevant council department or partner agency.

Contributing to keeping our streets, green spaces and town centres cleaner and safer is a priority for the council.

How to pay an enforcement fine

You may be able to pay a reduced Fixed Penalty Notice enforcement fine if you pay early; check the table below or your Fixed Penalty Notice for details.

What you need to pay: you'll need your Fixed Penalty Notice reference number and your payment card details. There's no additional charge for using your credit card.

Pay your enforcement fine online .

More ways to pay your enforcement fine

  • Phone: 0300 303 8889. You'll need your Fixed Penalty Notice reference number and your payment card details.
  • Cheque or postal order: make the cheque or postal order payable to Rochdale Borough Council, put the Fixed Penalty Notice reference number on the back of the cheque or postal order and either

Once we've received payment we'll notify you by post within 7 working days.

What can I be fined for?

We issue fines for the following offences. All payments must be made within 14 days to avoid further action.

Name of offence​ ​FineComments
Abandoning a vehicle​​£200

Reduced to £120 if paid within 7 days.


Reduced to £65 if paid within 7 days.  

Fly-tipping​£400​Reduced to £250 if paid within 7 days.

​Failing to produce waste documents (trade waste)

​£300Reduced to £180 if paid within 7 days.
Graffiti​£75​Reduced to £50 if paid within 7 days.
Flyposting​£80​​Reduced to £50 if paid within 7 days.
​Selling or repairing vehicles on the highway​£100​No discount available for early payment.
​Breaching a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO)​£100​No discount available for early payment.

Report a problem

We can deploy the service to where it's needed most and need your help to identify problem areas. We're also working with partner agencies such as the police and housing associations to identify problem areas. Use the relevant online form to report an enforcement issue.

Frequently answered questions on enforcement fines

I've lost my Fixed Penalty Notice, what do I do?
Please email or ring our Enforcement Action Unit on 01706 923333 between Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

What happens if I refuse to pay the Fixed Penalty Notice?
Anyone who fails to pay will be prosecuted.

Can I pay in instalments?

Do wardens have targets to achieve?

Are wardens council staff or a private company?
Council staff.

What happens to the money collected through the issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices?
The money is channelled back into environmental projects.

Why do enforcement officers wear body cameras as part of their uniform?
Cameras have been introduced by the council so they can be used for the prevention and detection of crime and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders.

Body cameras will be used amongst other things, to record the issuing of Fixed Penalty Notices in relation to littering and other environmental offences. Legally, we have to notify the public that these cameras may be used to record contact between enforcement officers and those suspected of antisocial behaviour.

Authorised use of body cameras also extends to any organisation undertaking enforcement on our behalf.

Recorded footage will not be shared with any third parties unless the council is legally permitted under the Data Protection Act 1998.

What happens to the footage from the body cameras?
The images are stored securely by the council. To comply with the Data Protection Act they're kept for 31 days if not used for evidence otherwise retained to comply with the council's retention periods.

Can I see the footage from the body camera?
You can request to view the footage by raising a 'Subject Access Request'. To protect the identity of other people caught up in the footage their images will be distorted. Request personal information from us.


01706 923333

Phone: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.

Environmental Action Unit
Environmental Management
Green Lane
Heywood OL10 2DY