Using the computers
To use a computer, you'll need to:
- Log in using your library card number and your 4-digit pin number which you were asked to make when you joined the library. If you can't remember your pin number, we can email you your pin number if you know your library card number. Request an email with your pin number.
- When you log in, you'll need to tick a box to agree to our Acceptable Use Policy.
- You'll then be logged on to the computer.
What you can do on a library computer
You can use a computer in the library to:
- Browse the internet using Internet Explorer and Google Chrome.
- Use Microsoft Office 2019, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Use Adobe Reader for reading and viewing pdfs.
- Access online resources that the library subscribes to. View resources available on library computers.
- Print items. View charges for using the printers in the library.
You can get full access to the following sites on the library computers:
- Access to Research - free access to over 10 million academic articles.
- Ancestry.co.uk - search your family tree
- Find My Past - access to a range of family history records in partnership with Manchester City Archives
- United Utilities - access the drainage/sewerage plans for the area where you live
- Which? - product reviews and advice from the consumer experts
- Library catalogue - also has some useful reference resources including a newspaper index.
Magnifying software is available on all library computers if you need it.
Saving your work
You won't be able to store or save work permanently on the computers in the library. Files on the computer are deleted at the end of every session to protect your information.
If you need to save your work permanently, you can:
- Save to a USB
- Save to cloud storage
- Email the items to yourself
Find out how to get help with computers and the internet.