Types of childcare

Home based childcare

Home based childcare includes:

  • Nannies
  • Au pairs
  • Maternity nurses
  • Babysitters - the NSPCC recommends that babysitters should be over 16

This type of childcare might be a good option for families with complicated childcare needs.

Search for local home based childcare

Ofsted registration

People who care for children in the child’s own home do not need to register with Ofsted. However, they can choose to join the Ofsted Childcare register voluntarily.

If they've joined the register:

  • They will have a URN (Unique Reference Number).
  • Ofsted will carry out the necessary checks before deciding whether to grant registration.
  • Ofsted will regularly inspect them to assess their strengths and highlight areas for improvement.

Go to the Ofsted site - you can search by name, address or Unique Reference Number.