The Summer Reading Challenge is an annual activity aimed at 4-11 year olds. Older or younger children can also take part if you'd like them to. It's presented by The Reading Agency and delivered by libraries across the country.
The challenge encourages children to read 6 or more books of their choice during the summer holidays to help prevent the summer reading 'dip'.
How the Summer Reading Challenge works
The Summer Reading Challenge has gone digital for 2020. This means you can join the challenge and keep track of your progress online.
- Join the challenge by creating an account
- Set some reading goals
- Add the books you read over the summer to their online account
- Collect rewards and badges every time you read a book or meet your goals
Silly Squad - 2020 Summer Reading Challenge
June - 30 September
The theme for the 2020 Summer Reading Challenge is the 'Silly Squad' which celebrates funny books, happiness and laughter. You can join The Silly Squad - an adventurous team of animals who love to have a laugh and get stuck into all different kinds of funny books.
Illustrations © Laura Ellen Anderson 2020
If you join the 2020 challenge, you'll get access to a range of Silly Squad activities to do at home including:
- Super silly book readings
- Draw-a-longs from guest celebrities and authors
- Competitions and games
- Worksheets to download or print out
- Silly stuff to inspire your child to keep reading
- A forum to chat with friends
- An option to rate and reviews the books they've read
Reading for the Summer Reading Challenge
The 2020 Summer Reading Challenge theme wants to encourage children to have fun and get silly. This means you can read anything that makes you happy. This includes comics, joke books, poems, fiction and picture books. In addition, eBooks, audiobooks, digital copies and printed books all count towards the challenge.
You may like to:
Activities for the Summer Reading Challenge
Summer Reading Challenge online activities will take place throughout the summer holidays. We'll post details about these activities on our social media.
Competition for the 2020 challenge
Closing date: Wednesday, 30 September 2020.
Enter the competition for a chance to win a set of brand new books from the Silly Squad collection. See if you can create a member of the Silly Squad at home. For example, you could:
- Draw or paint a picture of your favourite member
- Create a collage using coloured paper or magazines
- Make a model from play-dough or clay
- Ice a cupcake to look like an animal
- Make an animal from pom-poms, origami or LEGO
Ask for a certificate for completing the challenge
Once you've completed the challenge, you can pick up a certificate and medal from one of the following libraries:
Please ring us before collecting so we can have them ready for you. We'll need to know the name of your child and which library you'd like to pick it up from when you call.
Ring us on 0300 303 8876 to request a certificate and medal