eBooks and eAudiobooks
Browse, borrow or reserve eBooks and eAudiobooks
You can browse our catalogue of eBooks and eAudiobooks for free.
To borrow or reserve from the hundreds of eBooks and eAudiobooks we have available:
- You must first join the library.
- If your library membership has expired, you'll be unable to access Borrowbox. Please contact us, or call into your local library, so we can update your library account.
You can borrow or reserve up to 6 eBooks and 6 eAudiobooks at a time, each for up to 21 days. Use your library account to renew your loans, return items early and reserve items if they're currently on loan.
How to download, read and listen to eBooks and eAudiobooks
- You need your library card number to create an account. If you're not already a library member, you can join the library online and use your membership number to access eBooks and eAudiobooks straight away.
- Using Apple or Android devices: to get eBooks and eAudiobooks on a mobile device, download the BorrowBox app.
Apple Store Borrow Box app
Google Play Borrow Box app
- Using Amazon Fire devices: to get eBooks and eAudiobooks on your Amazon Fire, you'll need to allow apps from unknown sources. Find out how to allow apps from unknown sources and download the BorrowBox app on Amazon Fire devices.
- Using laptops or computers: if you're using a laptop or desktop computer, you can browse and download eBooks and eAudiobooks on BorrowBox. See section 8 for returning books.
- Once you've installed the app, search for Rochdale Libraries in the ‘Library’ field and log in using your library membership card number and 4-digit PIN. If you've just joined, you can use your temporary membership number in place of a library membership number.
- Browse the collection of books.
For Android devices: to refine your searches, simply choose eAudiobooks or eBooks. Then at the top right, you should see '…more eAudiobooks/eBooks' with a number indicating how many are available to you. Clicking this takes you to lists where you can swipe left and right and filter by a category, genre, age group, popularity, new releases and so on.
For iOS devices: to refine your searches simply search under eAudiobooks or eBooks, you should see filtering options at the top of the screen including Categories.
- Borrowed titles appear in your Loans section. From your Loans section, tap the title cover to open it.
- Returning items.
Using an app: if you're using the app the items will automatically be removed from your device, and you won't need to manually delete them. Using laptops or computers: if you're downloading titles using the website, you'll need to manually return the items, this is if you've downloaded an eBook and opened it in Adobe Digital Editions. You'll need to return the item by right-clicking the item in the ADE 'shelf' function and selecting return.
- You can renew items 3 days before the expiry day. The loan expires you can't renew it but you can borrow it again if the copy hasn't been borrowed by another library user.
- If you've any questions about using BorrowBox, email their support team at email@example.com. If you're using the BorrowBox app, you can go to settings and select 'send feedback' to ask them a question.