Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Report someone at risk of becoming homeless

Please let us know about anyone who you think will or might become homeless in the next 56 days. You can report a single person, a couple or a whole household as long as they live in Greater Manchester.

Who can report someone at risk of being homeless?

We welcome referrals from anyone as long as you get the consent of the person you're trying to help.

If you work for a public authority, you're required by law to ask a person for their consent and refer them to a Greater Manchester council if they give it to you. This is known as a Public Duty to Refer.

Public authorities include:

  • The Prison Service
  • Youth Offending Services
  • Secure Training Centres
  • Probation and community rehabilitation companies
  • Job Centre Plus
  • Social services departments, such as adult social care and children's social services
  • Emergency health services

How can I report someone at risk of being homeless?

To report someone at risk of being homeless:

  1. Get consent from the person or people you want to report.
  2. If they don't give their consent, you can't report them to us. However, you may wish to tell them about some of the support services listed in the section below.
  3. If they give you their consent, you should then ask them which council they want you to refer them to. You can refer them to any council in Greater Manchester. Find out how to refer them to:

What support is there for people at risk of being homeless?

The sooner someone at risk of being homeless seeks help, the more likely it is they can avoid becoming homeless. You may wish to tell the person at risk of being homeless about any of the following places where they can find help and support instead:

What support will you offer to the person I report?

Each council in Greater Manchester will offer their own support to the person you refer to them. You should check the website of the council where the person at risk of being homeless wants you to refer them to by following the links above.

If you refer someone to us, the support we offer to the person at risk of being homeless will be aimed at their individual circumstances and needs. This could include:

  • Undertaking an assessment to see what help we can give.
  • Giving advice about how to apply for housing or find accommodation.
  • Completing a full housing assessment, including accessing specialist support.


0300 303 8548

Phone: Monday-Friday 9am-4.45pm.

Customer service centre
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU