We want all schools in the Rochdale borough to perform to their full potential.
To help achieve this we have a School Improvement Team who provide:
- Support and monitoring for schools causing concern.
- Support for headteacher recruitment, induction and newly qualified teachers.
- An annual cycle of link officer visits.
- Management and implementation of statutory requirements.
- Management and implementation of Education Development Plan activities.
School Improvement Officers
Each School Improvement Officer is attached to a group of schools. For each school the officer will:
- Monitor school performance.
- Make a half-day visit in the Autumn Term to carry out a Joint Annual Review discussion involving representatives of governors and members of the Senior Management Team to review progress and set challenging targets.
- Make a half-day visit in the summer term to support school self-evaluation
- Attend post-OFSTED feedback to governors.
- Coordinate the implementation of CSA support plans where schools are allocated additional CSA support.
- Provide telephone advice on curriculum and management issues.
- Act as the Chief Education Officer's representative in Headteacher appointments and where appropriate Deputy Headteacher appointments.
- Provide advice and support in relation to capability or underperformance issues.
- Provide support and advice to new and acting headteachers.
In addition, each School Improvement Officer will support the implementation of the national strategies by making a half-day strategy monitoring visit every term to a targeted sample of schools focusing on:
- Autumn term – Primary numeracy and literacy.
- Spring term – Key Stage 3 strategy and ICT.
- Summer term - Primary numeracy and literacy.