Requests we will and won't approve
Our chief executive will use the following information when approving flag raising requests.
We're likely to approve requests that:
- Recognise a national holiday or a country's independence day.
- Celebrate art, community or cultural events.
- Aim to raise awareness for charities and other community organisations.
- Honour organisations, people or countries for a special achievement.
We won't approve requests:
- On behalf of a political party or political organisation.
- For a flag which we believe promotes hatred, violence or racism.
- That will break the law.
- For a flag that promotes a private, for-profit company.
Guidance on flag raising
For more information about the flags we can and can't raise, read our flag raising guidance.
It includes information about:
- Standard conditions flags need to meet before we can raise them
- Our procedure for flying a flag
- The flags we raise on special dates
- When we raise flags at half-mast