You can make certain types of minor changes without planning permission. The legislation can be very complicated. In some cases, you may also require building regulation approval.
Before you apply for planning permission
If you'd like some advice or help with your application, you can contact us before you apply. We can advise you on what information you'll need to provide for us to validate your application, plans and drawings.
Before you apply, you should:
How to apply for planning permission
You can apply for:
- Full planning permission - by submitting detailed plans.
- Outline planning permission - to establish the principle of the development. This allows you to provide more detailed information later in the planning process.
- Advertisement consent.
You can see what supporting information you'll need to apply in our Local List. Download the Local List
If you do not provide all the required information, we cannot process your application.
Help with applying for planning permission
You may find some of the information helpful if you're applying for full planning permission.
- Sustainable drainage pre-application advice from The Flood Hub.
- Developer's Waste Collection Policy - how you should design housing developments so we can collect household waste and recycling.
- Pre-application planning advice.