Apply to hold an event

Apply to hold a Platinum Jubilee street party

In 2022, Her Majesty The Queen will celebrate a Platinum Jubilee after 70 years of service.

Date of street party

Sunday, 5 June 2022

Your event must be for the purpose of celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee and held during daylight hours on this date. This is in line with national celebrations, referred to as the 'Big Jubilee Lunch'.

How to apply to hold a street party

The deadline for applications to hold a street party which involves road closures was Sunday, 17 April 2022.

We're, therefore, unable to accept any further applications due to time constraints in respect of the legal process that must be followed for road closures.

However, you can keep the road open and organise a gathering or ‘Street Meet’ on private land, such as a driveway or front garden, without any requirement to fill in council forms.


No licence required – providing your street party is free and open to neighbours, family and friends, you don't need a licence if:

  • There is no sale of alcohol or the sale of hot food and drinks between 11pm–5am.
  • You're planning to provide unamplified live music between the hours of 8am and 11pm
  • The music you're providing (whether it be live or recorded music) is of a background nature only
  • If the music is just incidental to another activity that in itself doesn't require a licence

Please be mindful of all residents and neighbours so as not to cause a noise nuisance to anyone.

Licence required – you'll need a licence by way of a Temporary Events Notice if:

  • You're planning to sell alcohol, or provide hot food or drinks between 11pm–5pm.
  • You're planning to provide music and don't meet the no licence required conditions.

If you require a Temporary Events Notice, we strongly advise you make your application for a licence to the Licensing Service in good time and at least 10 working days before the event. There are strict statutory timescales that have to be met for a Temporary Events Notice application to be accepted.

Help with applying: if you need further advice, please email the Licensing Service on