Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge is aimed at 4-11 year olds, but older or younger children can also take part if they'd like to.
The theme for the Summer Reading Challenge 2022 is Gadgeteers.
It's presented by The Reading Agency and delivered by libraries across the country.
To take part in the Summer Reading Challenge:
- Your child needs to be a library member. If they're not, see how to join the library
- Your child can sign up for the challenge at any library in the borough. Find your local library
- You'll get a collector's folder to keep track of their reading. Add the books your child reads over the summer to the collector's folder. They need to read at least 6 books to complete the challenge.
- If they complete the challenge, come back to the library with the collector's folder. Your child will earn a certificate and a medal and we'll enter you into a prize draw.
Your child can also take part in the challenge online, where they can track their progress and earn rewards over several challenges. Join the challenge online
What to read for the challenge
Your child can read anything they'd like - all books count towards the goal. This includes comics, poems, audiobooks and picture books. You don't need to buy new books for the challenge either. You can borrow from the library or even re-read a book.
You may like to:
- Borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks for free
- Request and collect books - a way to borrow books from the library without going inside.
- Use the book sorter to get recommendations on what to read - all of the books in the Book Sorter have been added by children just like you.
- Re-read a book - your child can re-read books they already have at home. The most important thing is that they're reading and having fun.
Ideas, games, competitions and more
The Summer Reading Challenge website has fantastic reading ideas, fun games and exciting competitions. You can also keep up to date with all the latest Summer Reading Challenge news.
Events and activities
Summer Reading Challenge events and activities will take place throughout the summer holidays.
You can find out about these events on: