Home improvements, insulation and repairs

Home improvement grants

Grants from your utility supplier

You can apply for a grant from your utility supplier if you need help. 

Suppliers offer different support, such as money to help clear your debts or towards new household goods and appliances.

Home energy efficiency funding (ECO) grant

You could qualify for free measures to make your home more energy efficient and help to save you money on your energy bills.

The Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) is running a funding programme on behalf of all local authorities in Greater Manchester, including Rochdale, called the ECO grant.

If you'd like to benefit from this grant, you'll need to meet the eligibility criteria, which includes:

  • Your home has an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of Grade D or below. Check the EPC rating of your home at GOV.UK.
  • Your household has a gross annual income of less than £31,000.
  • A person living in your home has certain long-term health conditions (only certain health conditions are eligible and an NHS letter would be required).
  • A child living at your property receives free school meals.
  • A person living in your home has been referred to the local authority for support by their energy supplier or by Citizen's Advice.

The GMCA has a list of approved installers to advise on eligibility and the process for any residents who may benefit from the grant.

Home Upgrade Grant (HUG)

In addition to the ECO grant outlined above, we're working with Energyworks to deliver the Home Upgrade Grant (HUG).

The Home Upgrade Grant is another grant available to help residents whose properties:

  • Aren't on the gas grid system.
  • Have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D or below.

For more information on the Home Upgrade Grant, or to access free advice on how to make your property more energy efficient, visit the Energyworks website.