Claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

Information about Council Tax reduction for people receiving Universal Credit

This Council Tax reduction scheme is for working-age people who receive Universal Credit.

It should make it easier for you to get support paying your Council Tax if the hours you work often change, and give you more certainty about how much Council Tax you'll need to pay each month.

Council Tax reduction you could get

The table below shows the maximum reduction you could get off your Council Tax bill based on the income you earn over the 'applicable amount'. The applicable amount is how much money the government says you need to live off each month.

The government works this out using estimates called standard allowances. View the government's standard allowances to work out your applicable amount

Income you earn over the applicable amount Council Tax reduction amount
Up to £10 85% off
£10.01 - £25 75% off
£25. 01 - £45 60% off
£45.01 - £65 45% off
£65.01 - £85 25% off
£85.01 - £100 10% off
£100.01 and above No reduction

Additional Council Tax Support discount of up to £25

Council Tax Support will be increased by up to £25 for 2023-2024.

If your Council Tax bill is less than £25, this additional discount will reduce the bill to £0. If your bill is already £0, no additional discount will be given.

We'll automatically apply this discount to your bill if you're already claiming Council Tax Support.

Eligibility to claim Council Tax reduction

You can claim Council Tax reduction if you meet all the following criteria: 

  • You pay Council Tax at your main home
  • You don't have savings of over £16,000