Step 2: apply to be on the housing register
To apply to be on the housing register you need to complete an online application form and provide the correct documentation to prove your identity and eligibility for rehousing.
It is your responsibility to make sure you provide the correct documents to support your application.
We'll assess your application to establish if you are eligible and qualify for rehousing. We may need to check details with other agencies or ask you for further information to evidence your circumstances.
What documents do I need to provide?
You must provide the following for the main applicant and any joint applicants being rehoused:
- 2 pieces of identification. One piece of identification must be photographic.
- Proof of current address for the main applicant and any joint applicants
You must provide these documents within 28 days of submitting your form or your application will be cancelled.
What documents can I use as proof of ID?
The following documents will be accepted as proof of ID.
- A current and valid passport.
- Permanent residence, for example, proof of indefinite leave to remain.
- A biometric ‘residence permit’ card issued by the Home Office.
- A full birth or adoption certificate issued in the UK.
- A valid full or provisional photo card UK driving licence.
- A letter issued by a UK government department or Local Authority, signed by a named official (including their name and professional address), confirming the holder's name.
- A letter from the DWP clearly showing your National Insurance Number and the benefits you receive.
- Bank statement from within the last 3 months.
- A current and valid bus pass.
- Voter Authority Certificate.
What if I can't apply online?
If you can't apply online, please contact us using the details on this page to make an appointment. We'll complete an application with you over the phone.