How to vote by post
You'll receive a ballot in the post around 10 days before election day. If you live outside the UK, it'll take a bit longer for it to reach you.
The ballot pack will include all the instructions about how to complete it and cast your vote.
When we receive your ballot paper, we'll mix it with all the other votes before counting begins. This ensures your vote remains secret.
Posting your ballot
Your ballot pack includes an addressed envelope for you to put your completed ballot in.
- You can use a different envelope if needed.
- You can put all the postal votes for your household in one envelope.
- If you forgot to put something in the envelope after you sealed it, you can open it - you must put your initials where it was opened and resealed.
- If you post the envelope without the ballot paper inside, please post your ballot in a different envelope or hand in it at Number One Riverside.
- If you've health or mobility problems and cannot post your vote, please contact us. We'll arrange for someone to collect your vote instead.
Replacement ballot papers
If you need a new ballot paper because you've lost it or didn't receive one:
- Visit the council's main building at Number One Riverside.
- You'll need to bring a photo ID and proof of address, for example, a passport, driving licence, bus permit, student card.
- The earliest you can get a replacement is 4 days before the date of the election and the latest is by 5pm on election day.
If you've voted for the wrong person, you do not need a new ballot. Please cross out the incorrect vote and mark the paper with the correct vote. Do not use Tippex or any other correction fluid.
Cancelling your postal vote
If you want to cancel your postal vote, please contact us using the details on this page.
Going to a polling station instead
If you've applied to vote by post, you cannot vote at a polling station.
Receiving a postal vote for a previous occupier
If you receive a postal vote for the previous occupiers of your home, do not use it.
Please send it back to us marked "occupant no longer lives here" or bring it to Number One Riverside.