Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

COVID-19: Household Support Fund

​Rochdale Borough Council has been given £2.3 million from the government to help support older residents and households most in need over winter 2021/22. At least 50% of this funding is required to be targeted at households with children.

The government's Household Support Fund will be used to help people meet the costs of the following.

  • Food and household items
  • Energy costs including help with your bills, energy saving measures, and the repair and replacement of heating systems
  • Housing costs
  • Other essential winter items

We'll be working with partners across the borough, including the voluntary sector, community groups and charities, to ensure those most in need receive the targeted assistance.

Food vouchers

For the Christmas holidays 2021, February half-term break 2022 and Easter holidays 2022, we'll be providing food vouchers.

Eligibility: children who are registered with us as being eligible for income-based free school meals are eligible for the food vouchers. Some groups of children who are supported by our Children's Services will also be eligible to receive a voucher.

If your child goes to a school outside of the borough, in most cases you will not receive a voucher as these, or an alternative, should be given by the school your child goes to. In most cases, schools, nurseries and childminders have provided us with contact information, and told us who should receive the voucher.

How to apply: you don't need to apply. We'll send out vouchers for all children who are entitled.

How it works: we're changing the way we issue the vouchers and instead of issuing paper vouchers we'll be issuing the majority of them by email and text. If you've both an email and mobile phone we'll send you a message to both, or to whichever one you have. If you don't have either, we'll ask your child's school to provide you with the vouchers.

When you get your text or email you should follow the instructions in the message to get your vouchers. If you receive a voucher in the post, you can use this directly in the supermarket it is for.

We'll aim to send out the Christmas holiday food vouchers week beginning 13 December 2021.

Get help with accessing the vouchers:

Support for older people

Please provide your bank details by Sunday, 6 December 2021.

Eligibility: if you, or your partner that lives with you, are currently 66 or older, or will be by 1 January 2022 and you receive Council Tax Support on 6 December 2021, we'll make 2 payments of £30 to you.

  • You will receive your first payment no later than Friday, 17 December 2021.
  • You will receive your second payment no later than Monday, 28 February 2022.

To receive the second payment you must be getting Council Tax Support on Tuesday, 1 February 2022.

How to apply: you don't need to apply. We're writing to everyone that qualifies for these payments. You'll receive a letter from us to let you know that we're making the payment to you automatically. Where you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, or have done in the past, we'll pay into that account. If you don't pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we'll pay into the account where you receive your Housing Benefit or have done in the past. 

Where we don't hold current bank details for you, we have sent you a letter asking you to provide these so we can make these payments to you.

Please provide your bank details: 

  • By phone on 01706 928645
  • By completing the form we sent you and sending it to Revenues and Benefits, PO Box 490, Rochdale OL16 9AJ
  • By completing the form we sent you and handing it in at one of our Customer Service Centres at:
    • Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale OL16 1XU
    • Middleton Library, Long Street, Middleton M24 6DU
    • Heywood Library, Lance Corporal Stephen Shaw M C Way, Heywood OL10 1LL

Household Fund

If you're having financial issues this winter 2021/22, then you may be able to access support through our Household Fund. Through this fund you may be able to access superstore vouchers, fuel vouchers and other help. 

Essential winter supplies

We're continuing to work with our voluntary sector partners to provide support through our food clubs and local food pantries. Residents can access food, essential supplies, cleaning products, nappies, baby food and sanitary products.

Energy costs including help with bills

If you're having issues keeping your home warm, then help is at hand. Groundworks offers a free service to help you with your bills, offers advice around energy saving measures, installs energy efficiency measures, repairs heating systems and more

Housing costs and support

Our housing team is working with residents to prevent them being evicted and cover emergency rent arrears where there is a sustainable tenancy.

How to get help: there are limited funds and, therefore, our homelessness team is identifying those individuals and families that quality and could benefit from this kind of help.

General practical and financial support

If you need practical or financial support, then please get in contact with us using the details on this page. We can arrange food, medicines and essentials, get care for anyone who depends on you, and can access supermarket and fuel vouchers through our Household Fund.


01706 923685

Phone: Monday–Friday, 9am-5pm

Text: 07860 022 876

For emergency help outside these hours, ring our Out of Hours Service and select option 2.