Mayor's chosen charities
Councillor Ali Ahmed, supported by the mayoress, Mrs Syeda Farjana Begum, will be raising funds for:
- Springhill Hospice – a purpose-built facility with 16 beds offering specialist palliative care to patients and their families from diagnosis to end-of-life.
- Parkinson's UK – driving better care, treatments and quality of life.
- Jolly Josh – raising funds to create a sensory centre with a hydrotherapy pool for children with complex needs, learning difficulties and life-limiting conditions. The centre is in the memory of 15-month-old Joshua James Kelly from Middleton, who tragically passed away in 2020 after being diagnosed with mitochondrial disease.
- Get Together After Serving CIC – a new Community Interest Company (CIC) helping military veterans and immediate family members with the struggles of everyday life. They help families get away by providing short weekend breaks. They also provide family coffee mornings and events throughout the year to help military veterans and families engage and meet new people.
- Rochdale Connections Trust – delivering a menu of domestic violence and abuse programmes to support those who are at risk. They provide intensive programmes to reach young people who are not in employment, education or training, and family focussed sessions including parenting, healthy relationships, cooking healthy meals and budgeting. They also offer an in-house counselling service.
- BASA Rochdale – providing social, recreational and educational activities within the community to bridge community cohesion and tackle social exclusion through the power of sport.