- Disciplinary procedure
Along with the recognised trade unions, we've agreed the following procedure to deal with disciplinary matters. In order to ensure that the procedure is fair and effective it will be applied in all instances where disciplinary action is regarded as warranted, other than where an informal warning is given for some relatively minor act of misconduct.
It's recognised that the disciplinary procedure should not be viewed primarily as a means of imposing sanctions. It's also intended that improvement in individual conduct should be emphasised and encouraged.
This procedure applies to all employees of the council including staff within the School Support Services, Non-Delegated Schools and the School Meals Service in Locally Managed Community, Controlled and Voluntary Aided Schools. It doesn't pertain to teachers and other support staff in Locally Managed Community, Controlled, Voluntary Aided and Foundation Schools and employees graded in accordance with the Chief Executive, Chief Officer and Assistant Chief Officer pay bands.
The procedure doesn't apply to:
- Resignation of the employee, or other termination by mutual consent.
- Termination of a fixed-term contract of employment where the term of that contract expires without being renewed.
- Termination of a temporary appointment where the reason for termination is that the need for the employee's service has expired, or is about to expire.
- Incompetence, incapability or other poor performance at work that's considered not to be attributable to a wilful disinclination by the employee to carry out their duties efficiently or effectively, but which is thought to be attributable to a lack of skill or aptitude. A separate procedure exists to deal with such issues.
- Termination of employment by reason of redundancy.
- Document downloads
- Document last updated
- 22 April 2022
- Related content
- Document type