Street trading consent

Licence name
Street trading consent

Find out if you need street trading consent, how to apply, the conditions you need to meet and how to appeal a decision.

Do I need a licence?

You need street trading consent if you want to sell food or household items on the street.

You don't need street trading consent if you're:

  • Trading as a pedlar with a licence issued by a police authority.
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue.
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals.

There are some areas of Rochdale borough where you can't trade. These areas are called restricted trade zones.

If you're applying for food street trading consent, you'll have to apply for food business registration and your business will need to meet suitable food safety and hygiene standards.

How to apply

To apply for new consent, renew consent or make a change to your consent:

  1. Complete the online form below.
  2. Once we've received your application we'll aim to be in touch within 5 working days.
  3. If you're applying to sell food, we'll arrange a food hygiene and safety inspection of your vehicle or stall.
  4. If our inspector is satisfied your premises meet our conditions, we'll approve your application for street trading consent.

Apply for street trading consent online

How much it will cost
Street trading consent Fee
Consent - new or renewal £1,042
Licence £1.505
Consent to cover up to 2 days at special events £97
Consent to cover up to 5 days at special events £242
Make a change to the vehicle or stall £61
Does tacit consent apply?

No. You must wait for us to approve your application before you start trading as tacit consent doesn't apply.

Validity and renewals

Street trading consent lasts for one year or as otherwise specified on your licence.

You must apply to renew your consent after this time if you want to continue trading.

Appeals, complaints and redress

Please contact us in the first instance using the link below.

Other than a Judicial Review, there is no statutory right of appeal against our decision, but an appeal could be heard by the Regulatory Sub-Committee of the council.  

Fines and penalties

It's illegal to trade without street trading consent.

If you trade on the street without consent or don't obey the conditions placed on your street trading consent:

  • It can be suspended or withdrawn.
  • You can be fined up to £1,000.
Contact us