Street works licence

Licence name
Street works licence

​​It's an offence under Section 51 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 to open the highway without first obtaining a licence from us as the highway authority. If you wish to carry out street works or dig on the highway you must apply to us for a street works licence.

How to apply

Contact us using the link below.

Conditions to meet

We will only consider issuing a street works licence if the following conditions can be met:

  • Street works are marked in accordance with Safety ​​​at Street Works and Road Works​​​​ (Chapter 8, signing, lighting and guarding.
  • Location plan (1:1250)
  • Provision of sufficient traffic management plans and any associated application (for example, skips, hoardings, lane closures, road closures).
  • Evidence of the contractor's accreditation under the New Roads​ and Street Works Act 1991 in the Street Works Qualification Register. Evidence of no less than one operative and one supervisor accreditation is required.
  • Permission to connect is obtained from the utility company on which works are taking place.
  • Sufficient public liability insurance can be demonstrated (at least £5 million).
Does tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period please contact us on the details provided.

Process and timescales

We will evaluate your application by examining your application form and other documents supplied. If your application is incomplete or incorrect your application will not be processed.

We will inspect the location with you to:

  • Confirm location.
  • Discuss traffic management implications. 
  • Discuss the suitability of proposals.

We'll also inspect the location during the works, at the end of the works and at the end of the maintenance period.

Appeals, complaints and redress

If your application is unsuccessful, contact us and we discuss your application with you. If you're unhappy with the reasons given you can appeal to the Magistrates Court.​

Contact us