Street collections licence

Licence name
Street collections licence

If you want to collect money or sell items in any public area, you'll usually need a street collection licence.

Do I need a licence?

You must apply for a street collections licence if you want to collect money in a public place or sell items for charity in a public place. A public place is a place a member of the public has access to.

You don't need a street collections licence if you're selling or collecting as part of a business.

I'm not collecting on a street, do I need a street collections licence?

It's not just streets that are covered. You'll need a licence if you collect money in any public area, for example, a shop doorway, bus station or car park.

How to apply

It's free to apply for a street collections licence.

To apply, complete the online application form below.

Apply for a street collections licence online

You'll also need to fill in and send us a return form. We'll send this form to you once we've received your application.

Appeals, complaints and redress

If your application for a street collections licence is rejected, please contact us in the first instance using the link on this page.

If you disagree with our licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet OfficeYou must do this within 14 days and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Fines and penalties

It's illegal to collect money or sell items in a public place for the benefit of a charity without getting a street collections licence. A public place is a place where the public has access.

You could be fined £200 if you collect money for charity without a licence.

Contact us