- Licence name
- Stage hypnotism licence
If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public you must have authorisation from us.
- Do I need a licence?
You must hold a permit to stage a public performance of hypnotism for entertainment purposes - whether live or broadcast.
You won't need a permit if the hypnotism is for the purpose of scientific demonstration or research, or if you are only hypnotising yourself.
- How to apply
To apply, complete the application form and return it to us.
You may also need to:
- Apply at least 28 days before your performance (unless you have staged hypnotism at the same venue within the past 3 years without incident)
- Give details of your last 3 performances (when and where)
- Tell us about any previous refusals of a hypnotism permit or convictions related to staged hypnotism
Once you've filled out the form you can either:
- Send completed forms to email@example.com
- Post it to Rochdale Borough Council Licensing, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU
- Bring it in to the Licensing Unit (use Contact us link for address and opening hours)
- Conditions to meet
To obtain a stage hypnotism licence you:
- Must be competent in the inducement and reversal of a state of hypnosis
- Cannot use any one under the age of 18 in your act
- Must not direct people to behave in an:
- Obscene, indecent, offensive or aggressive manner
- Demeaning way that is unacceptable to the common person
- You must fully reverse the hypnotic state when the performance is over
You may also need to:
- Have an entertainment licence (Premises Licence) - depending on the venue and the type of performance.
- Hold public liability insurance (£1,000,00 minimum) if the venue's insurance doesn't cover your performance
- Add to any performance poster, advertisement or programme the words "volunteers, who must be aged 18 or older, can refuse at any point to continue taking part in the performance"
- Appeals, complaints and redress
Please contact us in the first instance using the link below.
- Fines and penalties
If you stage hypnotism for entertainment purposes without a licence or break any of the conditions on your permit, you could be fined up to £1,000.
- Contact us