If you'd like to help keep your borough cleaner and wish to hold a litter pick, we can help. Litter picking can make Rochdale borough a better place to live, work and visit.
Whether you want to pick up some litter in your local area or you want to lead a group on a larger project, we'll support you.
Request FREE support to hold a litter pick
If you, your school or your local community group would like to access our FREE litter picking support:
- Please get in touch with us at least 2 weeks before the date you want to hold you litter pick.
- Complete the request form below and email it to us at
What happens next?
- We'll contact you to confirm the details and arrange a time for you to collect the equipment you need from our depot in Heywood.
- Hold your litter pick.
- We'll collect the bagged rubbish and dispose of it for you after your litter pick.
How to hold a litter pick in Rochdale borough
When deciding to hold a litter pick, here are a few steps for you to consider.
- Choose an area to tidy up. You might want to consider routes to schools, parks, playgrounds, public footpaths, green spaces, bus stops, nature reserves, school grounds or anywhere else people gather.
- Visit the area you'd like to litter pick to make sure it's a safe place for you and your group to work.
- Get permission from the landowner if it's on private land.
- You can borrow equipment, including litter pickers, bin bags, bin hoops, protective gloves and high visibility vests. You'll need to complete the litter picking support request form on this page. Please be as detailed as possible on the form to let us know your requirements.
- Hold your litter pick on your chosen date and take photos on the day. Send us your photos of your litter pick and we may feature them on publicity materials.
- You can take the rubbish to the local recycling centre or we'll collect any bagged rubbish and dispose of it on your behalf. Find your nearest recycling centre
Why hold a litter pick
Holding a litter pick will help us reduce the amount we spend on cleaning up rubbish. We collect more than 10 tonnes of litter every week which costs you and other taxpayers in Rochdale £1 million every year.
It's also a great way to show your pride in Rochdale borough. We all like to live and work in a clean area, free from rubbish and litter.
Great British Spring Clean
Every year during spring, Keep Britain Tidy holds a Great British Spring Clean.
The Great British Spring Clean allows you to do your bit to collect and safely dispose of litter from the country's streets, parks and beaches while recycling as much as possible.
We'll post details of the next Great British Spring Clean here when we have them.
More ways to get involved in improving the borough
We've a number of volunteering opportunities in the borough you many be interested in. Our green volunteer scheme gives you a chance to join us, meet new people and share and improve your skills in a variety of horticultural and countryside management activities.