Walking is simple, free and one of the easiest ways to get more active, lose weight and become healthier.
Our bodies are designed to move. Walking for 30 minutes on 5 or more days a week can yield many health benefits.
Walking in groups can reduce anxiety, depression and loneliness. It can also promote friendships, increase confidence, self-esteem and vitality, boosting your quality of life.
- View guided walks in Rochdale borough
- Join Your Trust's monthly sensory walks – accessible by wheelchair and on foot
- Greater Manchester Walking – a wide variety of walks and hikes in the borough of Rochdale, from social walking groups to countryside rambles
Blue and purple plaque walking trails
There are 2 walks you can do that cover the blue and purple plaques we have in Rochdale.
Benefits of regular walking
Walking at any pace can provide the following benefits:
- Halve the risk of heart disease
- Improve muscle strength
- Improve levels of cholesterol
- Reduce weight and maintain your weight loss
- Helps to reduce the risk of developing diabetes
- Reduce the risk of bowel and colon cancer
- Relieve depression and anxiety
- Helps reduce the risk of osteoporosis and improve coordination and balance