Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Licence name
Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

You will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol.
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club.
  • Providing entertainment, such as music, dancing or indoor sporting events.
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm-5am.

You will also need a TEN if a particular licensable activity is not included in the terms of your existing licence.


You must be at least 18 to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). Your event must:

  • Have fewer than 500 people at all times – including staff running the event.
  • Last no more than 168 hours (7 days).
How to apply

You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event. This does not include bank holidays, the day the application is submitted or the day the event takes place.

You can only apply for a Temprary Event Notice (TEN) as an individual, not an organisation. You will have to pay a fee of £21.

To apply for a Temporary Event Notice you need to:

  1. Download and complete a Temporary Event Notice application form.
  2. Email the completed application form to the Licensing Unit using the contact information on this page.  

We'll aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days of receipt of your email.

If your application is complete and valid, we'll contact you to pay the licence fee within the timeframe allowed under the legislation.

If your application is not complete or valid, we'll contact you about any outstanding requirements. Your application process will not start until we take payment.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

Find out how we use your personal information in our privacy notice.

How much it will cost

The fee for this licence is £21.

Conditions to meet
  • You must keep your Temporary Event Notice (TEN) in a safe place where the event is held.
  • You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.
Appeals, complaints and redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If you disagree with the licensing committee's decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least 5 working days before the date of your event.

Additional information

A late Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is usually reserved for when an event has to be moved with very little notice. You may submit a 'late' TEN giving between 9 and 5 clear working days' notice.

If you don’t hold a personal licence, you can serve up to 2 late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10. Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.


The council can't refuse a notice unless the police or Environmental Health object to it. They must object within 3 working days of receiving it, they can only object if they think your event could:

  • Lead to crime and disorder.
  • Cause a public nuisance.
  • Be a threat to public safety.
  • Put children at risk of harm.

If there's an objection we will hold a meeting (called a 'hearing') no later than 24 hours before the event, unless all parties agree that a hearing isn't needed.

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or Environmental Health object to a late Temporary Event Notice, the notice won't be valid and you can't hold the event.

Fines and penalties
  • You could be fined if you make any false statements in your application, or face prosecution if you breach the terms of the notice.
  • If you don't have a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) and carry out an activity that you should have a licence for (or allow your premises to be used for one), you can be fined, sent to prison for up to 6 months, or both.
Contact us