House-to-house collections licence

Licence name
House-to-house collections licence

You must apply for a licence if you want to collect money or goods (that you plan to sell at a later date) from people’s homes for charity.

Do I need a licence?

You must apply for a house to house collections licence if you're a:

  • Small charity.
  • Local group, for example scouts, girl guides.

Some of the larger well-known charities for example, Christian Aid, Help the Aged, have a Charity Commission exemption from having to apply for a permit, but most of the smaller and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money or items.

How to apply

To apply for a house-to-house collections licence, complete the online application form below.

Apply for a house-to-house collections licence online

You must:

  • Apply 20 working days before you plan to start collecting.
  • Include the names of any people who will be collecting on behalf of the charity or organisation; these are known as the 'authorised collectors'.
  • Include your own name if you're planning to be an authorised collector.


How much it will cost

You don't have to pay for a house-to-house collection permit.

Conditions to meet

You must be a fit and proper person and let us know details of items and households collected from.

Validity and renewals

House-to-house collection licences can be valid for up to 1 year.

Appeals, complaints and redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

You have a right to appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office within 14 days of the decision.

Fines and penalties

If you don't get a licence before starting house-to-house collections you could face:

  • Up to 6 months in prison.
  • A fine of up to £1,000.

If you or anyone collecting on your behalf doesn't give a police officer their name, address and signature when asked to, they could be fined up to £200.

Contact us