Caravan site licence

Licence name
Caravan site licence

Find out if you need a caravan site licence, how to apply, what conditions you need to meet and how to appeal a licensing decision.

Do I need a licence?

You usually need a site licence if you want to use land as a caravan site.

You may not need a licence for the following activities:

  • 1 caravan on land immediately surrounding a primary dwelling, used in addition to the primary dwelling and not occupied separately.   
  • 1 caravan for up to 2 consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to 3 caravans on 5 acres or more, for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to 5 caravans that are:
    • Certified by an exempt organisation such as a caravan club.
    • For members only.
  • Sites owned by us  - these are usually travellers sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes, including caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building sites, engineering sites and travelling salesmen.

If you're unsure if you need a licence, contact us using the details provided.


To apply, you must have planning permission for the site or be in the process of getting it.

How to apply

Contact us to start your caravan site licence application.

Apply for a licence - email

Conditions to meet

Your licence will have conditions, including:

  • The type of caravan, for example residential, static holiday or touring.
  • The permitted density of caravans on the site and the spacing between caravans.
  • Water supply and drainage; lavatory and washing facilities.
  • Fire precautions and electrical installations.

If you have an existing site licence, contact us for reissue using the details provided if:

  • Your name, site name or address is listed incorrectly
  • Your licence details don't match your planning permission.

If you're taking over an existing site licence:

  • Check that all the land used for siting caravans has planning permission for this use.
  • Check the licence details match with the site licence.
  • Contact us to transfer an existing licence using the contact details provided - we need to give consent for the licence transfer.
Does tacit consent apply?

No, we must process your application before it can be granted.  'Tacit consent' means that applications are approved if you don't hear anything back from us. Tacit consent does not apply.

If you haven't heard from us within 2 months of your application date, please contact us using the contact details provided.

Validity and renewals
Your licence will last as long as the site's planning permission.
Appeals, complaints and redress

Please contact our Public Protection Service in the first instance using the contact details provided.

If you disagree with our decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates' court.

Fines and penalties

You can be fined up to £2,500 if you:

  • Run a caravan site without a licence.
  • Break any of your licence conditions.

If you repeatedly break your licence conditions, your licence may be withdrawn.

Contact us