Gambling Act - licensing premises

Licence name
Gambling Act - licensing premises

​​​​​​​Similar to the Licensing Act 2003, the Gambling Act 2005 gives Rochdale Borough Council responsibilities for regulating and enforcing laws for gambling in Great Britain.

How to apply

To apply for a licence you need to:

  1. Download and complete the application form.
  2. Email the completed form to the Licensing Unit using the contact information on this page.

We'll aim to respond to your enquiry within 5 working days of receipt of your email.

If your application is complete and valid, we'll contact you to pay the gambling licence fee within the timeframe allowed under the legislation.

If your application is not complete or valid, we'll contact you about any outstanding requirements. Your application process will not start until we take payment.

Download the application form from the Gambling Commission

How much it will cost

Licence fees for gambling licences under the Gambling Act 2005 are as follows:

Premises licence fees

​Premises Type Transitional Fast-Track Application Transitional Non-Fast Track ​Application New Application Annual Fee  
Existing Casinos £300 £2,000 n/a £3,000
New Small Casino ​n/a n/a £8,000 £5,000
New Large Casino n/a n/a £10,000 £10,000
Regional Casino n/a n/a £15,000 £15,000
Bingo Club   £300 £1,750 £3,500 £1,000
Betting Premises
(excluding Tracks)
£300 £1,500 £3,000 £600
Tracks £300 £1,250 £2,500 £1,000
Family Entertainment Centres £300 £1,000 £2,000 £750
Adult Gaming Centre £300 £1,000 £2,000 £1,000

Miscellaneous fees

Premises Application to Vary Application to Transfer Application for Re-Instatement Application for Provisional Statement Licence Application (provisional Statement holders) Copy Licence Notification of Change
Existing Casinos £2,000 £1,350 £1,350 n/a n/a £25 £50
New Small Casino £4,000 £1,800 £1,800 £8,000 £3,000 £25 £50
New Large Casino £5,000 £2,150 £2,150 £10,000 £5,000 £25 £50
Regional Casino £7,500 £6,500 £6,500 £15,000 £8,000 £25 £50
Bingo Club £1,750 £1,200 £1,200 £3,500 £1,200 £25 £50
Betting Premises (excluding Tracks) £1,500 £1,200 £1,200 £3,000 £1,200 £25 £50
Tracks £1,250 £950 £950 £2,500 £950 £25 £50
Family Entertainment Centres £1,000 £950 £950 £2,000 £950 £25 £50
Adult Gaming Centre   £1,000 £1,200 £1,200 £2,000   £1,200 £25 £25

The Licensing Committee resolved to review the fees prior to April 2008, after receiving a report detailing the income and expenditure budgets for this work, so that the fees could be amended, if necessary, to ensure full cost recovery only, and accepted that, in the event that income was identified as being excessive at an early stage, then a report would be presented at the earliest opportunity to address this issue.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the contact details provided.

Related regulations and laws

Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 has 3 main objectives:

  • Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime.
  • Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way.
  • Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

It also brought the burgeoning Internet gaming sector within British regulation for the first time. A new independent regulatory body was created; the Gambling Commission, which is now the national regulator for commercial gambling in Great Britain.

The Act replaced the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act of 1963, the Gaming Act of 1968 and the Lotteries and Amusements Act of 1976. In their place it created three separate categories of licence:

  • Operating licences
  • Personal licences
  • Premises licences

Our approach to this area of work can be found in our Gambling Policy Statement.

The Gambling Commission

The Gambling Commission came about as a result of the Act and regulates gaming and certain lotteries.

The Gambling Commission grants operating and personal licences for​ commercial gambling and people working in the industry. It will also regulate certain lottery managers and promoters.

The council as a Licensing Authority

Licensing Authorities are responsible for:

  • Licensing premises for gambling (casino, bingo and betting premises - including tracks, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres). The Act requires that (except in the case of tracks) only persons holding or have applied for an operating licence from the Gambling Commission may apply to the council for a premises licence.
  • Administering Temporary Use Notices (notices given for the temporary use of premises for gambling purposes).
  • Granting permits for gaming and gaming machines in clubs and miners' welfare institutes.
  • Regulating gaming and gaming machines in alcohol licensed premises.
  • Granting permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines.
  • Granting permits for prize gaming.
  • Administer occasional use notices for betting at tracks.
  • Registering small societies lotteries.
Appeals, complaints and redress

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Other redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event.​

Contact us