Dangerous animals licence

Licence name
Dangerous animals licence

​​The keeping of certain species of wild animals is controlled by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. No person may keep any dangerous wild animal without first obtaining a licence from us.

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) Order 2007 lists the animals requiring a licence.

Applications for a licence must be made to us, and a licence may be issued providing the applicant is not disqualified or has been convicted under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

The applicant will also be required to pay the cost of inspections carried out by the council's authorised veterinary surgeon or practitioner.

Except in exceptional circumstances, the person making the application must be the person who owns and possesses or proposes to own and possess the animal to which the application applies.

Where a licence is granted, that licence and any subsequent licence will expire on the 31 December of the year to which the licence relates and must be renewed before that date if the licence holder is to continue to keep the animal(s) named on the licence.

Before granting a licence the Licensing Inspector must be satisfied that:

  • It is not contrary to the public interest to do so on the grounds of safety, nuisance or other grounds.
  • The applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence to keep the animals listed on the application.
  • The animal(s) will be kept in accommodation that prevents its escape and is suitable in respect of construction, size, temperature, drainage and cleanliness.
  • That the animal(s) will be supplied with ​adequate and suitable food, drink and bedding material and be visited at suitable intervals.
  • Appropriate steps will be taken to ensure the protection of the animal(s) in case of fire or other emergencies.
    • Only the person named on the licence shall be entitled to keep the animal
    • The animal shall only be kept on the premises named on the licence
    • The animal shall not be moved or may only be moved in accordance with conditions specified in the licence
    • The licensee must hold a current insurance policy, approved by us, which insures against liability for damage caused by the animal
    • Only the species and number of animals listed on the licence may be kept
    • The licensee shall make a copy of the licence and its contents available to any other person listed on the licence as being able to look after the animal
  • We may at any time revoke or amend any licence condition​
How to apply

Complete the application form and send it to us using the details on the form.

Download the Dangerous animals licence application form

How much it will cost
Dangerous wild animals licence Fee
Licence application - Dwarf Caiman or Serval £306
Licence application - other animals Fee decided on application
2 year grant - Dwarf Caiman or Serval £151
2 year grant - other animals Fee decided on application
Variation of licence £50
Certified copy of licence £21
Inspection of additional premises £53 per hour
Appeals, complaints and redress

If you've been refused a licence, or want to appeal against a licence condition, you can appeal to the magistrates'​ court.

Fines and penalties

Anybody found guilty of keeping an animal covered by the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 without a licence to do so or anybody found guilty of failing to comply with any licence condition shall be subject to a fine not exceeding £2,000.

Any person found guilty of obstructing or delaying an Inspector or Authorised veterinary surgeon or practitioner shall be subject to a fine not exceeding £2,000.​

Where a person keeps an animal without a licence or where a person fails to comply with a licence condition, Inspectors from the council may seize the animal and may either retain it or have it destroyed or disposed of (to a zoo or elsewhere) without compensation to the owner.

Where the council incurs any expense in seizing, retaining or disposing of an animal then the person who was the keeper of the animal shall be liable for those costs.

Contact us
Related content