Pleasure boat licence

Licence name
Pleasure boat licence

If you wish to let for hire or use a boat or vessel for carrying passengers for hire, and you are a person in charge of or navigating such boat or vessel, you'll need a pleasure boat licence and a boatman licence.

The requirement to hold licences does not apply to boats or vessels licensed under Board of Trade Regulations or to those on a canal owned or managed by the British Waterways Board.

  • You must be over 18 years of age.
  • You must have a full knowledge of all statutory rules, regulations and byelaws applicable to navigate on the water or waters for which the licence is required.
  • You must not suffer from any disease or physical disability which could affect your fitness to assist in the charge of pleasure boats, vessels or craft let for hire.
  • You must hold a valid insurance certificate to cover third party liability in respect of the boats/vessels operated.
How to apply

To apply for a licence, contact us using the link on this page.

How much it will cost

There is an application fee which must be paid at the time an application is made.

Does tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us at the end of 28 days. Where objections have been received to the application, we must determine the application within 56 days. Please contact us if we notify you that objections have been made.

Related regulations and laws

The Office of Public Sector Information provides a summary of the Public Health Acts Amendment Act 1907 Section 94 on their website.

Additional information

Applications must be on the correct form and accompanied by:

  • any relevant qualifications certificate;
  • a recent medical form completed by your own doctor;
  • a valid insurance certificate; and
  • such other information we may require to determine if you and the boat or vessel meets the eligibility criteria above.

When we receive an application we will arrange an inspection of the boat or vessel.

You don't need to advertise the application.

Contact us