Bonfires, air pollution and smoke problems

Report a bonfire, smoke or air pollution

To report problems with a bonfire, smoke or air pollution:

  1. In an emergency, ring 999 - if a bonfire is out of control or built-in a dangerous location, contact the Fire Service immediately.
  2. If smoke from a bonfire is affecting you, please discuss the problem with the person responsible first.
  3. If you need to report a non-emergency problem to us then use the form below. We won't share your details with anyone you report.
  4. After you've reported a problem, we'll investigate your report to find out whether the law is being broken. We may visit you and the source of the problem. In some cases, we may also take formal action against those responsible for air pollution.

Report a bonfire, smoke problems or air pollution form

What you can report

You can report a one-off incident or continuous problems with any of the following:

  • Large bonfires or people regularly having bonfires on a weekly basis
  • Smoke from a chimney in a smoke control area
  • Burning household waste, plastics, rubber or painted materials
  • Dust and grit from construction sites
  • Smells from bonfires or commercial premises
  • Ash falling onto your house, garden or the road
  • Smoke from a bonfire blocking view of the road
  • Dark smoke coming from bonfires or buildings

What you can't report

We do not consider the following as antisocial bonfires, smoke or air pollution:

  • A small, one-off bonfire where the smoke fumes aren't affecting a public road or people living or working nearby
  • Burning garden waste in small amounts without much smoke
  • Organised bonfires on bonfire night
  • Smoke from barbecues or cigarettes
  • Smells from people cooking
  • Chimney smoke which is from burning an authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance, such as a wood-burning stove - view a list of authorised fuels and exempt appliances