Business waste

Commercial and business waste is waste from premises used for a trade or business or for the purposes of sport, recreation or entertainment.

Waste produced from improvements, repairs or alterations made to your home by a builder or tradesperson you've hired is also classed as business waste.

How to get rid of your waste

As a business, you have a duty to organise your own commercial waste removal and recycling.

The council is not responsible for the removal of commercial waste.

There are several licensed waste disposal companies in the area that can set up a contract to remove commercial, hazardous and special waste.

Get rid of business waste - Recycle for Greater Manchester website

Your responsibilities

You must sign a Trade Refuse Agreement with a carrier who is legally authorised to carry waste and pay the charges.

You may take your own rubbish to a licensed disposal site but you cannot use the public civic amenity sites for free tipping.

Ensure that you complete the waste transfer note and provide a written description of the waste. Normally, your carrier will produce this for you as part of your agreement.

Keep a copy of all documentation for 2 years. You can be prosecuted if you cannot produce full records for the last 2 years.

Illegal dumping of waste

If your waste is discovered to have been disposed of illegally, even by your carrier, you or your company could face legal proceedings.

Recycle for Greater Manchester have created a SCRAP code that may help you prevent your waste from being fly-tipped.