latest information about licences and registration.
Find out if you need a Street Café Licence, how to apply, what conditions you need to meet and how to appeal a decision.
Do I need a licence?
You'll need a Street Café Licence if you want to:
- Use a portion of a public street, road or place to sell food or drink
- Place tables, chairs or other temporary furniture outside a restaurant or café so customers can eat or drink outside
How can I apply for a licence?
Download and complete the application form below to apply for a Street Café Licence. Email your completed form and any supporting documents to us using the details listed on the form.
What conditions do I need to meet?
There are some conditions you'll need to comply with for us to issue you a Street Café Licence. Failure to comply with these conditions will result in the licence being withdrawn.
Is my licence granted if I don't hear back?
No. We must process your application before it can be granted as tacit consent doesn't apply.
not place any tables or chairs on the highway until you've received formal approval from us.
How do I appeal a decision?
If you wish to appeal a licensing decision, please contact us in the first instance.
An appointed arbitrator will determine if consent has been unreasonably withheld.
What are the fines and penalties?
You could be fined up to £5,000 if you:
- Sell food or drink on the street without a Street Café Licence.
- Place tables, chairs or other furniture on the street without approval from us.
- Don't follow the conditions of your licence.