latest information about licences and registration.
Everyone is welcome to busk on public land in Rochdale borough.
Report a busker or street performer causing a nuisance
If a busker or street performer is causing a nuisance:
- If you're happy to do so, please approach the busker and politely explain they're causing a disturbance. Buskers are usually unaware they're causing a problem. Most buskers will be glad to do what they can to reduce the noise or move if they're blocking a path.
- If the street performer or busker is still causing an issue, you can:
Do I need a busking or street performance licence?
don't need a licence for busking and street performing in Rochdale borough.
Guidance for busking and street performing
When busking in Rochdale borough, you must keep to the following guidance. You should:
- Play at a reasonable volume so you can't be heard over 50 metres away.
- Not obstruct roads, paths or access to shops and cash machines.
- Only perform between 10am-10pm. Even during these hours you should stop playing if you're asked to do so by local residents or businesses.
- Move to a new location, at least 50 metres away, every 60 minutes and not return to the same location within the same 24 hours.
- Not use amplification or drums when performing as they create lots of noise and complaints.
- Actively collect money or ask for money by using a sign or any other means. You're allowed to have a receptacle, such as a hat, music case or box for the acceptance of donations from the public.
- Perform in a way which could be considered dangerous or inappropriate or in a way likely to cause alarm, distress or offence.
- Not make use of street furniture. This includes not putting up posters or adverts on street furniture.