Skip to main content Skip to accessibility
  Non-Javascript users can confirm they have successfully signed out of MyAccount by clicking here

Apply to hold an event

To hold an event you may need to apply for permission and give us time to assess it and put in place the relevant legal requirements.

Who needs to apply for permission

You should submit an application if your event will:

  • Take place on council land or the highway
  • Impact on traffic or parking
  • Require road closures or ‘no waiting’
  • Have loud music
  • Provide entertainment
  • Sell food or drink
  • Require licences, such as street trading or sale of alcohol
  • Attract over 200 people

If your event is on private land and doesn’t fall into one of the above categories you do not need to notify the Council.


As a guide the following timescales are required:

  • 1 months notice – for events where there are no requirements to use the highway, for example, small events in a park or green space.
  • 4 months notice – for events where there is a requirement to use the roads or pavements, for larger static events where a road closure would be required or large scale events in a park or green space.

Apply ​to hold an event

To apply to hold a public event:

  1. Read the checklist below to make sure you have everything you need to apply. We cannot process your application until we receive all your documents.
  2. Complete the apply to hold a public event form below.
  3. ​We aim to make a decision within 14 working days of receiving your completed application and all the required documents.

The event application process is managed by Your Trust (Link4Life) on behalf of Rochdale Borough Council.

Apply to hold a public event (opens in a new window)

Checklist for applying to hold an event

You'll need to have several forms and documents ready to add to the online application form.

If you don't have all the documents ready when you apply, you can email them to after you've completed the form. However, we cannot process your application until we receive all your documents.

  • Land Use Agreement - please sign and return the Land Use Agreement if your event will take place on council land. Land Use Agreement (118kb pdf)
  • Risk Assessment - you need to complete a risk assessment for all events. It must include measures to minimise the risk of COVID-19 transmission. If you need help filling this form in, you can view our example.
  • Public Liability Insurance evidence - you need to provide evidence of public liability insurance. If your event takes place on council land, we ask for a minimum cover level of £5 million. We're not able to provide advice on your insurance policy or the levels of indemnity you'll need. We may contact your insurance provider directly if we have any questions.
  • Route map - please contact us if you'd like guidance on your proposed route before you apply.
  • Traffic Management Plan - you need this if there needs to be any road closures for your event. You'll need to employ a traffic management specialist to create an appropriate traffic management plan to send to us for consideration.
  • Road closure process - you need to apply to close a road for your event. Our highways team will handle the legal process of applying for your road closure and this will cost £200. Once your route/site and traffic management plan are agreed, our highways team will contact you to progress your road closure.
  • Event site plan - you need to provide this for all events. It must show the layout of your event and list of any individual fairground rides or stalls, if applicable.
  • Event Management Plan - you need to provide this for all large or complex events. Please contact us if you're not sure whether you need to complete this for your event.
  • Third Party insurance evidence - if you're using any third party companies, we need the following evidence. A reputable company should have these available to send to you.
    • Evidence of their Public Liability Insurance - with a minimum cover of £10 million.
    • A copy of their ADIPS document - if a third party is providing any fairground rides for your event
    • A copy of their PIPA document - if a third party is providing any inflatables for your event.
  • Food Safety Form - all the food vendors at your event need to complete this form and email it to at least 2 weeks before the event. View the Food Safety Form (195kb pdf)
  • List of traders - if you're planning to have any stalls or street traders at your event, you need to give us a list of the traders and the products they're planning to sell.
  • Licences - you may need a licence if you're planning to sell alcohol, provide entertainment or play live music. We'll contact you if this is the case.
  • Collection permit - if you're collecting money for charity, you may need a collection permit. We'll contact you if this is the case.
  • Lost and found child form template (108kb pdf) 
  • Accident report form template (113kb pdf)

Guidance for event planning

Here are some guidelines that you may find useful for planning your event.

Fireworks and bonfire events

After applying to hold an event, we'll contact if you need to complete the fireworks display form or the bonfire risk assessment below:

Related pages


01706 923136

Phone: Monday-Friday 9am-4.30pm.

Community Services
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
Rochdale OL16 1XU