The next general election will take place on Thursday, 8 June 2017 to vote for the members of the UK Parliament.
Who can vote in the election?
If you're registered to vote you can vote in the election if you are:
- A British Citizen residing in the United Kingdom and overseas.
- A qualifying Commonwealth Citizens (including Cyprus and Malta).
- A citizens of the Republic of Ireland.
European Union citizens are not entitled to vote in this election.
Registering to vote
If you're already registered to vote or applied to register to vote before the deadline of the Greater Manchester Mayoral election on Thursday, 4 May 2017, you do not need to re-register to vote.
If you're not registered to vote, you'll need to register by Monday, 22 May 2017 to vote at the UK general election.
If you wish to apply for a postal vote completed applications must be received by 5pm on Tuesday, 23 May 2017. Postal votes will be issued about 2 weeks before the date of the election. If you wish to apply for a proxy vote, completed applications must be received by 5pm on Wednesday, 31 May 2017.
Rochdale has 2 constituencies:
- Heywood & Middleton constituency.
- Rochdale constituency.
In each constituency there will be one ballot paper. A voter has one vote for the candidate of their choice.
About 4 weeks before the general election, we'll send a poll card to everyone who is eligible to vote. The card shows, when, where and how to vote.
- Thursday, 4 May 2017-
publication of Notice of election.
- Thursday, 11 May 2017, 4pm - deadline for nominations.
- Thursday, 11 May 2017, 5pm - publication of Statement of Persons Nominated.
- Monday, 22 May 2017 - deadline for receiving applications to register to vote.
- Tuesday, 23 May 2017, 5pm - deadline for receiving applications to vote by post.
- Wednesday, 31 May 2017, 5pm - deadline for receiving applications to vote by proxy.
- Friday, 2 June 2017 - issue of replacement lost or spoilt postal votes starts.
- Thursday, 8 June 2017, 7am to 10pm - polling day where you can vote at your designated polling station.
- Thursday, 8 June 2017, 5pm - deadline for receipt of emergency proxy applications.
- Thursday, 8 June 2017, from 10pm - count and results declared.
There are no scheduled local elections to take place in 2017. The next scheduled election will take place in May 2018.