People who are severely mentally impaired - Council Tax discount

If a person with a severe mental impairment is the sole occupant of a property that they own or have a tenancy agreement for, they can claim an exemption.


To get a Council Tax exemption, the person must have a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning that appears to be permanent.

The person must also receive one of these benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • The highest or middle rate care component of Disability Care Allowance
  • Disablement Pension with an increase due to constant attendance needed
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Unemployability Supplement or Allowance
  • Income Support - where the applicable amount includes a disability premium
  • A person who would have received one of the above benefits had they not reached pensionable age
  • Disability Working Allowance - there are additional conditions if this is the only benefit the person receives. We'll contact you after you've made the application
  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)
  • The limited capability to work element of Universal Credit

How to apply

To apply for a Council Tax exemption for people who are severely mentally impaired, you need:

  • Their doctor's contact details.
  • Information about which benefits they receive - including how much they get.
  • Their 8-digit Council Tax reference number which you can find on their bill.

Apply for a Council Tax exemption for people who are severely mentally impaired

Council Tax discounts, exemptions and reductions