Disabled person's Council Tax reduction

Your Council Tax bill may be reduced if an adult or child with a substantial disability lives with you.

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced by the equivalent of one band. For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to a band C dwelling.

This will not affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list. If your home is in band A (the lowest Council Tax band) a reduction of 1/9 of the band D Council Tax would apply.


Your home must have certain features essential to or very important to the wellbeing of the disabled person to be eligible for a disabled person's reduction.

These features are:

  • A room - other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet - used mainly by the disabled person. For example, a downstairs bedroom or room for storing dialysis equipment.
  • An extra bathroom or kitchen for the person with the disability to use.
  • Extra space inside your home because the disabled person has to use a wheelchair indoors.

To qualify for a reduction, the extra room doesn't have to be specially built. It can be an existing room or space as long as it's used specifically for the person with a disability.

We'll need to visit your home to check that you qualify.

How to apply

Download and complete the Council Tax Disabled person's reduction form, and return it to the address listed on the form.

Apply for a disabled person's reduction

Council Tax discounts, exemptions and reductions