Before you complain
Before you complain to us, it's really important you first take steps to address the problem yourself. Steps you could take include:
- Approaching your neighbour to discuss the issue.
- Writing a polite letter to your neighbour outlining your concerns.
- Asking the hedge owner to lower their hedge.
- Telling your neighbour you intend to complain to the council if the issue isn't resolved.
- Keeping a record of all the actions and measures you've taken to compromise with your neighbour. We may refuse to get involved if we feel there's more you could do to resolve the situation.
- Reading some of the government's guides and advice on how to deal with your neighbours over hedge disputes: